Sunday, April 13, 2014

"Tansy"

She's done - and she's exactly like I pictured her in my mind.

She's named for the lovely mother of the childhood friend who believes in what I do and gave me seed money to see if I can actually make a go of this thing I love to do.

To re-cap:

  • stripped the dead, cracking and lifting veneer
  • base is Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White
  • trim is Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Grey
  • the trim was then silver-leafed, as was the detail on back of the princess bench and the drawer handles
  • the princess bench fabric was a white damask tablecloth from Home Goods that was dyed with the ASCP Paris Grey


In other news, I've made an arrangement with Portland Antiques and Collectibles in Portland, PA to have a space in their store.  I'm not sure of my "opening date", but I'm really very excited.


Here's "her" story;


She belonged to a not-quite-a-star ingenue circa 1944.  A small-town beauty queen, she came to Hollywood to "make it" in pictures. 

She never was really more than a "dress extra", but sometimes she'd get some lines and once Howard Hughes took her out to dinner at the Mocambo.  She'd sit in front of the vanity, which came with her furnished apartment near RKO Studios, and wish and hope and dream.  

Many years later, when she was married to that insurance salesman back home in Tallahassee, she'd occasionally think of that vanity and her short time in the shadow of the Hollywood sign - and have a little cry before she set the table for his dinner.



I'm linking up at:

Mod Vintage Life - Mod Mix Monday
Between Naps on the Porch - Metamorphosis Monday
The Dedicated House - Make It Pretty Monday
Dwellings - Amaze Me Monday
Coastal Charm - Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Savvy Southern Style - Wow Us Wednesdays
Petite Michelle Louise - Grey Dey Thursdey
Miss Mustard Seed - Furniture Feature Friday
My Romantic Home - Show and Tell Friday
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Friday

6 comments:

  1. She's lovely, and so is her story. Best of luck to you. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan:

      Thank you so much for visiting and following me! I appreciate it very much!

      Delete
  2. So pretty in those colors! Visiting from Amaze Me Monday and following!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnnMarie:

      Thank you so much! I'm happy to meet you!

      Delete
  3. She is absolutely luscious. Love your story too. Best wishes with your shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet story...sweet transformation. adore this. happy grey dey! glad you stopped by. ;)

    ReplyDelete